Severe Weather Preparedness Plan Sample
The Halifax Area School District is providing this information for public view. This information is being shared to give parents and the public a sample of intervention strategies that are used during the weather emergencies. Most aspects of the HASD Emergency Plan are confidential.
- Direct all students, staff, and visitors to move away from all glass windows and doors and gather in the in-building structurally safe location.
- Notify public safety by calling 911: police, fire and emergency services responders, as appropriate.
- Notify the district office of the situation.
- Designate staff to monitor radio, Internet, and other media for information on incident conditions.
- Maintain contact with public safety officials and consult on whether additional procedures should be activated due to changing conditions of the incident.
- Consult Communications Annex for community/parent notice, as appropriate.
- When safe, give "All-Clear" announcement using the building Public Address System, 2-way radio, telephone, and/or megaphone.
- Report status to district leads, external partners, and Emergency Management.
- Refer to Communications Annex for guidance relative to community, media, and parent communication.
- Ensure After Action Reporting is completed to incorporate lessons learned into this plan.
- Close and lock all exterior doors and windows.
- Take Go-Bag, class roster, phone lists, first-aid kit and other emergency supplies with you.
- Instruct students to exit the room using the designated routes to the designated in-building structurally safe location.
- Upon exiting the classroom do not lock classroom doors, close door and turn off lights.
- Do not stop to retrieve student or staff belongings.
- Help those needing special assistance.
- Check the bathrooms, hallways and common areas for visitors, staff or students while exiting.
- Go to designated in-building structurally safe location.
- Upon arrival at the designated in-building structurally safe location check for injuries to person in your care. Report all injuries to the Incident Command Post.
- Account for all students. Immediately report any additional or missing students to the School Incident Command Post.
- Care for students and keep them quiet and calm.
- Wait additional instruction.
- Prepare to Safe-Cover for extended periods including arrangements for food/water, sleeping, hygiene, medical needs, etc.
- Keep everyone in place until the Incident Commander gives the "All Clear" or gives other movement guidance.
After Safe-Cover TEACHERS:
- Monitor the emotional/mental health of students and refer for crisis counseling.
- Support After Action Reporting by providing lessons learned for plan improvement.